Deadline for voting was Tuesday, May 22, 2018.
We're no longer accepting votes.
Stay tuned as winners will be announced on June 6, 2018!
Vote for your favorite photo once per day*, from May 8th through May 22nd, 2018. Remember, the top three photo entrants will be awarded prize money! Winners will be announced and the winning photos will be posted on this Ability Tools webpage on June 6th, 2018. Thank you for your participation!
* Vote once per image per day (every 24 hours) per computer network (IP address).
Entries should feature assistive technology used by a person with a disability to live independently. Assistive Technology (AT) is any object, device, or tool used to make life easier.
Some examples of AT that can be featured include but are not limited to: mobility devices, software programs, reachers/grabbers, ramps, hearing aids, adaptive sports equipment, communication devices, and much more.
Entries will be screened by a committee of CFILC staff. The initial screening committee may select up to 20 finalists for public voting. CFILC staff and their immediate families are prohibited from participating in this contest.
Finalist’s photos will be posted publicly on the Ability Tools website, social media, and any sites to promote Ability Tools, CFILC, or any of its programs, projects, etc. Online voting by the public will determine the winner. The winning photos will be featured on the Ability Tools website (abilitytools.org) and may be featured on any of CFILC’s websites.
Contest opens March 2, 2018 and submissions may be sent until April 30, 2018. Public voting will take place in May 2018 and the winners will be announced shortly after voting concludes.
Important Contest Dates:
- March 2, 2018 - Contest Opens
- April 30, 2018 – Photo Submission Deadline
- May 8, 2018 - Finalist Online Voting Begins
- May 22, 2018 - Finalist Online Voting Ends
- June 6, 2018 - Winners Announced
3 winning photos*:
- 3rd Place winner will receive $25.
- 2nd Place winner will receive $50.
- Grand Prize winner will receive $100.
* Only one prize awarded per individual entrant.
Terms of Agreement:
AT Photo Contest
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES
1. Description of the Contest: The AT Photo Contest is promoted by Ability Tools, a project of the California Foundation for Independent Living Centers (CFILC). The purpose of the contest is to showcase the creative ways people with disabilities use assistive technology in their daily lives. Assistive Technology is any device, gadget, hardware or software used by a person with a disability to do things for themselves that might otherwise be difficult or impossible to do because of their disability. Many people with disabilities use assistive technology to accomplish tasks they otherwise could not. Sometimes they modify a commercial device or improvise their own device to meet a specific need. By sharing their pictures of AT, entrants can motivate and inspire others who are looking for solutions of their own. A screening committee will select up to twenty (20) finalists from all qualified submissions. Only one Submission per Entrant can win. Prizes will be awarded to the top five photo finalists that receive the most online votes. Each top 5 finalist will receive $100. The prizes will be mailed to winners residing in U.S. states and territories. No other prizes will be awarded. CFILC reserves the right to declare the contest null and void at its own discretion.
2. Eligibility: This contest is open to United States Residents at least 18 years of age or older. The contest is open to individuals only, organizations are prohibited from entering. Individuals featured in photo submissions who have not reached 18 years of age at the time of entry must submit a parent or guardian's consent and acknowledgment certifying approval to appear in the photo. Employees of CFILC and members of the photo screening committee and their immediate families are not eligible.
3. How to Enter: The submission period of the contest begins at 8:00 AM (PST) Tuesday, March 2, 2018 and ends at 11:59 PM (PST), Monday, April 30, 2018, as determined by CFILC's clock. To enter, complete the entry form located at abilitytools.org/_______. All sections of the entry form must be completed. Required information includes, but is not limited to, your full name, address, valid email address, daytime telephone number, a complete description of your photo. Entrants are asked to review and accept Contest Rules and then click the photo upload link. Entrants also must upload one signed Photo, Video, Name, City and Quotation Release Form for each person appearing in the photo. This form must be completed and signed, including all waivers and supporting material, by every person in the photo and uploaded to the entry form with your photo or the entry will be disqualified. All photos submitted to the contest are property of CFILC and will be used at the organization’s discretion to promote CFILC, Ability Tools and other affiliated programs.
4. Photo Requirements: All submissions must be uploaded to the Entry Form. The allowable size of the photos is from 1 MB to 10 MB.
5. Judging Criteria. CFILC reserves the right to disqualify any photos that are offensive or don’t meet contest criteria.
Contest judging criteria include:
1. Quality of the photo. Is it clear, aesthetically appealing and a high resolution (1 MB to 10 MB) photograph? Higher MB preferred.
2. Assistive Technology (AT) is in the photo.
3. The AT was featured as a solution that meets a functional need of a person with a disability.
4. The photo demonstrates a positive image of people with disabilities being independent.
6. All photos must be submitted during the submission period of the contest. CFILC's computer clock is the official clock and sole determinate for the purposes of a valid submission in this contest. The submission is time stamped when the Entrant clicks on the submit button at the completion of the submission process. CFILC or its designated representatives reserve the right to disqualify any submission that does not conform to these Official Contest Rules or the Site Usage Agreement as determined by CFILC in its sole discretion. Limit ten (10) photo submissions per person during the Contest Period. Only one Submission per Entrant can win. All submissions from the same person or email address in excess of the stated limit will be disqualified.
Submission Requirements: Each Submission must also comply with the following:
a. Entrant must agree to the Official Contest Rules posted on the Contest Entry Form website. Entrant will be required to complete the entire online contest entry form completely, including but not limited to their full name, address, valid email address, daytime telephone number, and a complete description of your photo. Each Submission will be tied to one Entrant. In the event that a group (more than one person) works together on a submission, the submission will be entered under the name of a Primary Entrant. In the event that a Submission created by a group (and submitted by a Primary Entrant) is declared the winner in accordance with these Official Rules, only one prize will be awarded and the prize will be awarded to the Primary Entrant. The Submission must be your own original work, created solely by you and/or your team; must not have been previously published, released, or distributed in any form; must not have won any award; and must not infringe on the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other personal or propriety rights of any person or entity.
b. The Submission must not contain or reference any names, products or services of any company or entity or any third party trademarks, logos, trade, dress or promotion of any brand, product or service. Any devices used in the photo submission may not show any of the above.
c. If any person(s) appear in the Submission, you are solely responsible for obtaining consent, releases and authorizations prior to submitting your photo. All persons appearing in the photo must complete and sign a Photo, Video, Name, City and Quotation Release Form, which must be uploaded to the contest Entry Form with your photo submission. If more than one person appears in the photo, please write a brief physical description of each person on their Release Form for identification purposes. Submissions that include a minor (under the age of 18) in the photo must include the signed consent and certification from Parent/Guardian.
d. Submissions that are lewd, obscene, sexually explicit, pornographic, disparaging, declamatory, libelous or that otherwise contain inappropriate content or objectionable material may be rejected and may be removed at any time by CFILC at its sole discretion.
e. The Submission must not contain any personally identifiable information of any person other than the Entrant. Should you include personal identifiable information about yourself in your Submission, you acknowledge and agree that such information may be disclosed publicly, and you release CFILC from any liability and/or consequences of such disclosure.
f. You may not be, nor may you work with parties in conjunction with your Submission who are: 1) represented under contract (e.g. by a talent agent or manager) that would limit or impair CFILC's ability to display your Submission in any form; 2) subject to an acting or modeling contract that would make your/their appearance in the Submission a violation of any third-party rights; or 3) under any other contractual relation, including but not limited to guild and /or union memberships, that may prevent CFILC from being able to use this Submission worldwide in all media in perpetuity on a royalty-free basis, without any payment or fee obligations.
7. CFILC reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any Submission that it believes violates or potentially violates any of the foregoing requirements or otherwise fails to comply with any provision of these Official Contest Rules or the Website Usage Agreement for the Ability Tools Website (abilitytools.org) or any site owned, operated or authorized by CFILC. The decisions of CFILC on this and all matters pertaining to the Contest shall be final and binding with no right of appeal.
8. Entrants agree to indemnify and hold harmless CFILC, its members, employees and projects from and against any suits, claims, losses, damages and expenses, including reasonable attorney fees that may arise from or in connection with any Entrant's Submission and use and or display of the Entrant's Submission.
9. Finalist Selection:
a. Finalists: The initial screening committee will select up to twenty (20) finalists whose submissions will be posted on the Ability Tools website (abilitytools.org). Finalists will be selected based on:
1) Quality of the photo [Is it clear, aesthetically appealing and a high resolution photograph?]
2) Assistive Technology (AT) is in the photo.
3) The AT was featured as a solution that meets a functional need of a person with a disability
4) The photo demonstrates positive images of people with disabilities being independent.
b. Winners: The top five (5) winners will be selected based on the total number of votes each submission receives during the Contest voting period. Each winner is limited to one $100 prize. If an individual has more than one submission in the top five, the award will go to the next submission with the most votes so that a maximum of five different winners will each win $100. There will be no prizes awarded to the other finalists. Prizes will only be mailed to winners living in U.S. states and territories. Odds of winning depend on the total number and caliber of eligible entries received during the Contest Submission period. In the event of a tie, the winner will be selected from the tying submissions by the screening committee. CFILC's ruling will be final.
10. Winners will be sent a Prize Award Notice via email no later than 5:00 pm (PST), Friday, May 25, 2018. The Prize Award Notice will be sent to the email address provided by Entrants in the Submission process. The Prize Award Notice will also contain the email address to submit acceptance of Prize Award. CFILC will consider acceptance of the Prize Award when Entrant submits an IRS Form W-9 and an Affidavit of Eligibility. Entrant will have until 5:00 pm (PST) ten (10) business days from the date the Prize Award notification was emailed to respond with acceptance of the Prize, the IRS Form W-9 and the Affidavit of Eligibility. If the Entrant fails to respond by 5:00pm (PST) ten (10) business days from date of Prize Award Notice, the prize will be forfeited and the Submission disqualified. The submission with the next highest number of votes shall be selected as the winner. Prizes will be mailed to winners residing in U.S. states and territories.
11. Prizes and Approximate Retail Value: The Contest is designed to give Entrants the opportunity to submit photos showing AT. Prizes will be awarded as determined by the total number of votes each Finalist receives during the voting period stated in the Official Contest Rules. CFILC at its sole discretion may disqualify or reject any votes or entries for any reason to include fraud or violation of these Official Rules. Up to five (5) prizes will be awarded and mailed to winners residing in U.S. states and territories. There will be no other prizes awarded to any other Entrant or Group.
12. The Prize must be accepted as awarded. The Prize is neither refundable nor transferable. The Prize will only be awarded to the Entrant whose full name and valid email address appear on the Entry Form and who submit an Affidavit of Eligibility and IRS Form W-9. Prizes will not be awarded to organizations. Please allow 6 - 8 weeks to receive the Prize from the date of submission of all documentation to CFILC and in accordance with the Official Rules.
13. ENTRANT IS LIABLE FOR ALL TAXES IN CONNECTION WITH ANY PRIZE AWARDED HEREUNDER. Entrant herby agrees to provide CFILC with IRS Form W-9. Entrant must complete and submit IRS Form W-9 to include social security number before any prize will be awarded. Entrant also agrees to provide CFILC with any other documentation (which may include copy of state or federal issued identification) and acknowledges that CFILC will provide information on all prizes to local, state and federal taxing agencies in accordance with all applicable laws. Failure to timely provide (which shall be ten (10) business days from date of Prize Award Notice) all such necessary and relevant information requested by CFILC will constitute a waiver of the winning prize by the selected winning Entrant. The Prize will be forfeited and the Submission disqualified. In the event of a waiver of the winning prize, CFILC may substitute or select an alternative winner. Entrant failing to provide the necessary information hereby waives and releases CFILC and its members and affiliates from any claim, dispute, lawsuit or the like arising out of or in connection with this Contest.
14. Grant of Rights: All Entrants grant CFILC the right to display their Submissions on the Ability Tools website (abilitytools.org) or any other website owned, operated or authorized by CFILC for the purposes of this Contest. This will have no impact on determining the eligible winner in this Contest. Finalist further grants CFILC the right to display their Submissions on printed materials or any third party sites, such as Youtube.com, facebook.com, twitter.com and other websites authorized by CFILC. Winners hereby grant CFILC a royalty free license, without geographic or time limitations to display his/her Submission for promotional or advertising related purposes in any and all media. The use of the Submissions after the Contest is complete for advertising and promotional purposes may or may not include the Entrant's name and city and state of residency. Winners agree to sign any documents that may be necessary to affect the assignment of the licensing rights.
15. Conditions of Participation:
a. Conduct: CFILC reserves the right in its sole discretion to modify the terms and conditions of the Contest, cancel, terminate, and/or suspend the Contest and to disqualify any Entrant that tampers with the entry process, violates these Official Rules, or acts in a disruptive or unsportsmanlike manner. Without limiting the foregoing, CFILC may reject any Submission, if in CFILC’s sole judgment, the Entrant has been disqualified, has questionable eligibility or is otherwise ineligible to enter or participate. CAUTION: ANY PERSON WHO ATTEMPTS DELIBERATELY TO UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST MAY BE SUBJECT TO CIVIL AND OR CRIMINAL PENATIES AND FINES; AND CFILC RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
b. Incidents: Without limiting the foregoing, CFILC may modify, cancel, terminate, and/or suspend the Contest if, in CFILC's sole opinion, an incident of any kind occurs to corrupt or impair the administration, security, integrity, fairness or play (as intended) of the Contest, including without limitations: (a) Earthquake, flood, fire, storm, or other natural disaster, act of god or (b) labor controversy or threat thereof, civil disturbance or commotion, disruption of the public markets, war, or armed conflict (whether or not officially declared).
c. Affidavits: Before being declared a winner, the selected entrant must complete and return an Affidavit of Eligibility within ten (10) business days of the date stated on the Prize Notice.
d. Release: By participating in this Contest, all Entrants agree to release, indemnify and hold harmless CFILC, its members, employees, agents and projects from and against any liability, injury, death, loss or damages to Entrant or any person or entity, including without limitation damages to personal or real property caused in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by reason of their participation in this Contest (or related activities) or their acceptance, possession, or use/misuse of a prize.
e. Publicity: Except where prohibited, Entrants hereby grant CFILC the right to use their names, likenesses, voices, opinions and biographical information for publicity or promotional purposes.
f. Entry Errors/Internet: CFILC is not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, damaged, stolen, invalid, unintelligible or misdirected Submissions. CFILC is not responsible for lost or late Submissions nor for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of Entrant's Submissions, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware, or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by CFILC on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet or at any web site or any combination thereof. If for any reason the program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of CFILC which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, CFILC reserves the right at its sole discretion to terminate the contest. Further CFILC reserves sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry or voting process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. CFILC reserves the right to select winners from eligible Submissions received during the Submission Period of the Contest. Caution: Any attempt by an Entrant to deliberately damage any Website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest is a violation of criminal and civil ways and should such an attempt be made, CFILC reserves the right to seek damages from any such Entrant to the fullest extent of the law. If there is a dispute as to the identity of the Entrant, the prize will be awarded to the authorized account holder of the email address. The "authorized account holder" is defined as the natural person to whom the email address is assigned by an internet provider, online service provider or other organization such as a business, educational institution or organization that is responsible for assigning email addresses for domain associated with the submitted email address. An entrant may be required to provide proof that he/she is the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the selected Submission.
16. Privacy: By participating in this Contest, an entrant grants to CFILC the right to use his/her likeness and name, mailing address, including city of residence, telephone number and email address ("Personal Information") without further permission or compensation for the purpose of administering the Contest including but not limited to, contacting and announcing the winner and acknowledges that CFILC may disclose the personal information to third parties or service providers of CFILC in connection with the foregoing. By accepting a prize in this Contest, winner grants to CFILC the right to use their personal information, including any photographs or comments for publicity and promotional purposes relating to the Contest without compensation or further permission and acknowledges that CFILC may disclose Personal Information to third parties or service providers of CFILC in connections with the foregoing.
17. Governing Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Contest Rules or the rights and obligations of participants or CFILC in connection with the Contest shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the state of California, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of any other state laws. Claims may not be resolved through any form of class action. Venue for all suits will be in federal or state courts located in the County of Sacramento, State of California.
18. Severability: If any provision(s) of these Official Contest Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect.
19. Winners List: An Official announcement of selection of winning Submissions will be posted on the abilitytools.org website. A written copy of the announcement may be obtained by sending a written request along with a self addressed, postage prepaid envelope by US Postal Service to: CFILC, ATTN: Ability Tools Photo Contest, 1000 G Street, Suite 100, Sacramento, CA 95814. All such requests must be postmarked no later than Friday, June 10, 2016.
20. Sponsor and Administrator: The Sponsor and Administrator of this Contest is California Foundation for Independent Living Centers, Inc. 1000 G Street, Suite 100 Sacramento, CA. 95814. This contest is promoted by Ability Tools, a project of CFILC.